Skip to content

Producing Microgreens at Tillamook High School

Tillamook High School Microgreens

Tillamook High School’s Agriculture/FFA chapter has been a major part of the Tillamook, Oregon community since 1949. With a rich history of community service and involvement, along with in-depth educational research, Tillamook High’s Agriculture/FFA chapter has been a positive factor in the community for decades. Max Sherman and his wife, Lynda, co-teach the Agriculture/FFA program at the school, and recently, they found themselves with some extra funding to put into the program. Max Sherman explains, “This past fall we applied for two grants, one was a National FFA Food for All grant aimed at solving hunger and the other was intended to expand opportunities within the Career and Technical Organizations. We received both grants and put that funding towards two Micro FodderPro 2.0 Feed Systems from FarmTek.”

Purchasing a fodder system was a researched and deeply planned decision. Sherman mentions, “Microgreens and fodder have been discussed for several years as a means of innovative feed production. Knowing that, we wanted to purchase a system so that we could conduct research on food production with the microgreens and also look into how these systems can be used to run either a farm or a business.” Sherman and his students are currently growing a large variety of microgreens, and seeing great success. “We have had the best success with a mix of kale, kohlrabi, red cabbage, broccoli, arugula and red mustard. This mix gives us great production volume and has been very popular with our clients,” states Sherman.

Microgreens produced at Tillamook High SchoolHarvesting at Tillamook High School

Research and a positive community involvement have been the main goals of Tillamook High’s microgreen production. Currently, 90 percent of their product is donated to a local food bank, while the remaining 10 percent is marketed to the school’s staff to help educate students on marketing and sales techniques. “This whole experience has been very positive for us. We have learned a lot of tips and tricks that we can share about growing food or food production, and we have also shown students how realistic it is to make a career out of this,” explains Sherman.

Pleased with the FodderPro 2.0 Feed System’s versatility, ease of use and sturdy build, Sherman is more than satisfied with his purchase for the school. Sherman states, “We take our system apart and reconstruct it in new locations quite a bit. It’s not the best thing to do with a microgreens system, but this one has been up to the task every time. From its ease of use to its amazing versatility, we are very glad we went with the FodderPro Feed System from FarmTek.”

Microgreens at Tillamook High School

One Comment Post a comment
  1. Reblogged this on peskay.

    September 8, 2014

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s